Pest Control for Warehouses
Warehouse Pest Control Programmes and Services
Warehouses and industrial units represent the hub of most manufacturing, processing and storage companies, so ensuring that these buildings and their valuable contents remain free from pests is absolutely essential. Not only could a pest infestation in your warehouse potentially cost thousands or even millions of pounds through loss of stock and building repairs, but having an insufficient warehouse pest control programme in place can also prevent you from gaining valuable accreditations and licences, including ISO 9001, BRC accreditation and SALSA.
Warehouses are at risk of hosting a huge amount of pest activity as they generally house a variety of different products, from many different sources, suppliers and countries. Consequently, the potential for pests to enter and thrive within a warehouse environment is high.
Storing different types of stock in close proximity to each other can also mean that the chances of cross-contamination is high, so if warehouse infestations are not prevented or dealt with quickly and correctly, further transportation of insects or rodents to other storage areas, distributors, wholesalers or customers is very possible, risking your reputation.
Warehouses that handle food are at particularly high risk of infestation, not only because food tends to attract flies, insects and rodents, but also because you may suffer an infestation of stored product insects. Many food businesses have or are working towards acquiring the BRC or SALSA accreditations, both of which require good warehouse pest control procedures to be in place. At Monitor we are highly experienced at providing pest control in food warehouses for BRC and SALSA accredited businesses.
Transport vehicles are also susceptible to infestation, so all areas in which the vehicles are parked should also be included on a warehouse pest control checklist.
Monitor’s pest control and pest prevention services will protect your warehousing with comprehensive, effective and discreet pest control solutions which will treat infestation and put effective measures in place to prevent recurrence.
<< CONTACT MONITOR TODAY >>
There are several categories of pests that may be found in warehouses, with the most common being:
- Rodents – Rodents and in particular rats are a major concern in many storage warehouses. Whether the stored goods are food, clothes, paper or furniture, rats like to gnaw through everything, which could spell disaster. This is particularly true in a food warehouse where contamination of goods can lead to serious health concerns and have severe legal and regulatory consequences. Rodents can also cause damage to buildings, fixtures and fittings by gnawing through wiring and wood, leading to increased fire risk.
- General Insects - Insect pests such as flies, fleas, cockroaches, beetles, moths, silverfish and wood-boring insects all have the potential to wreak havoc in a warehouse if an infestation takes hold.
- Stored Product Insects - These insects (including flour weevils and biscuit beetles) have the potential to ruin huge quantities of food products if an infestation isn’t dealt with quickly and efficiently.
- Bees and Wasps – Bees and wasps are a nuisance for warehouse staff and operatives. What’s more, it is not uncommon for bee and wasp nests to be found within warehouses, and if these are not dealt with professionally and swiftly, infestation can quickly occur leading to distress among employees, and potentially nasty stings.
- Birds – Birds can represent a major issue within warehousing. Warehouses tend to have very high ceilings, often with lots of metalwork in the roof or racking installations, providing the perfect roosting environment. Loading doors are typically left open for easy vehicle access, giving birds the opportunity to fly in and out at will. However, bird droppings can cause damage to both the building and stock and it will also cause hygiene issues, especially in a food warehouse.
Monitor maintains comprehensive public liability insurance, and is a member of the BPCA (British Pest Control Association), CEPA (Confederation of European Pest Management Association) and the NPTA (National Pest Technicians Association).
Our warehouse pest control contracts experience includes: