Dead Rat in Takeaway - Owner Banned
Repeat hygiene offender banned
A takeaway manager has been banned from running a food business after EHOs found he flouted hygiene laws in his kebab shop.
[ ] was banned indefinitely last month after admitting eight offences in North Staffordshire Justice Centre. He was fined £4,500 and ordered to pay £1,332 costs.
The officers found that found a dirty microwave, fridge and dough mixer at [ ], in [ ], Stoke, in 2014.
In 2013 Mr [ ], who lives above the takeaway, was given a 12-month community order for 10 food hygiene offences after a dead rat was found in his takeaway.
But when EHOs returned in June 2014 they found widespread dirt in the preparation and storage areas. Food preparation equipment not been cleaned when they visited again in December 2014.
The court heard that Mr [ ] claimed the takeaway was closed when EHOs visited but the front door was open and the open sign was clearly displayed.
Mr [ ] lawyers said he had been finding it difficult to manage the business and had been ill at the time.
The takeaway closed in April this year.
[Source courtesy of: EHN Online, Environmental Health News – The Magazine of the CIEH]